Sunday 11 December 2011

My Hair Journey...


I love the hair of Nini in my last post, it's chic and will suit anything she wears. I have short hair after being gassed on Rihanna's hair (when it was black) and to be fair it did suit me but I wanted my long hair back so I've started to grow it… without the aid of weaves!

Me without weave with shoulder length hair

Went for the chop...

I have a love/ hate relationship with weaves. Sure they look good (when done correctly and in the first 2 weeks), makes styling easier in the morning and is a common protective hairstyle but for me the cons override the pros. They shed, whether you use brazilian or not which by the way, quality will set you back a couple of hundred without stepping into the hairdressers! One gust of wind and your tracks are exposed! Also if you are some what lazy, it will make you neglect your own hair underneath.

With weave

I want healthy relaxed hair (which is possible!) and for it to gain strength while gaining inches. After reading natural/ relaxed hair blogs, watched numerous Youtube videos I have picked up the following tips:

1. Limit heat
I used to use my GHD's everyday, now its once a week. Heat destroys your hair if used too often and damage your ends which are the oldest part of your hair, so like an elderly relative, take care of them! Even after washing my hair, I let it air dry for as long as possible before blowdrying on a low heat.

2. Moisturise and seal
Moisture is so important for black hair, not only my scalp, hair and ends with...

3. Natural oils
Castor oil, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil all work wonders for ALL hair types. Castor oil especially is a cheap miracle worker (google it and see how many uses it has!) and after using it twice a week for nearly a month, my hair is strong meaning I will maintain length.

4. Trim
You have to get rid of the dead ends, you won't retain length without it.

5. Vitamins
I have taken Perfectil before I started this new regimen and my hair grew so I believe they do work just find out what is good for you.

I only started this at the beginning of November and already I have seen improvements so fingers cross it will get me the results I want.

1 comment:

  1. You look good with short, mid-length and shoulder hair Amanda. Lucky you you have the bone structure for all three!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete